January 23rd is National Pie Day – because we need an excuse to eat dessert right after we made the New Year’s resolution not to. But hey, we’ve all got to do our part and celebrate this special day. So skip the humble pie and go all out with my recipe for my famous (and easy) ice cream pie!
What you’ll need:
Ready-made pie crust – I usually go with Oreo or Graham Cracker.
A Gallon of your favorite ice cream flavor – In my house you’ll see a lot of Chocolate Chip Mint for the guys, and some Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked Yogurt for me.
A bag of your favorite candies – In this case I used Health Bar and Peppermint Patties.
Chips Ahoy or Oreos (I like to use both!)
1. Get out your pie crust.
2. Take your favorite ice cream and use it as the first layer of your pie.
Secret Tip: if you stick your ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds, it will loosen it up and make it easier to spread in your pie crust.
3. Grab the candy/candies you decided to use, and break them up into pieces. What I find easy is to take a Ziplock bag, throw in your candy, and get bashing. (The kids love getting involved in this step.)
4. Once you have your candy in pieces, you layer them over the ice cream. Taking the back of a spoon, and gently pushing them into the ice cream. No need to go crazy here and shove them in, just secure that layer into the ice cream.
5. Take the cookies and do the same thing, breaking the cookies into small pieces.
6. Grab the Ziplock bag and sprinkle the crumbs on top.
7. Finish off your masterpiece by drizzling some fudge, and setting it in the freezer.
And there you have it, my famous ice cream pie.